Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Language?

Koenraad Kuiper and W. Scott Allan stated in the book “An Introduction To English Language” that the way we use our human language is just like driving a car. Most of us can drive a car perfectly well without knowing how the car works.

So the question is, WHAT is language actually?

Among 100 of you out there, I can guarantee that there will be 101 that will give me the same old answer, which is something more or less like “language serves as a tool or a medium for human communication.” Including myself, that is.

Well, if you have the book “An Introduction To English Language” written by Koenraad Kuiper and W. Scott Allan, you will find out that they consider language as a code where this code uses various types of symbols and signals which are meaningful. You may refer here for more information as well. CLICK ME. THIS IS NOT A VIRUS!

This may sound crazy, but I strongly believe that every living organism in this universe has its own communicating language, just a matter whether we humans understand it or not.

So, for our coming ISL task, we need to come out with a dialogue consists of at least five language functions and role play it. Now, how should I say it…it is indeed an interesting task. But with the four of us, nothing is going to stand in our way. I assure you, this task will be a piece of cake. I am not bluffing, I am just teasing.

So, got to go and start the task right away. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment